|Russia sad on Wednesday it was surprised by US recognition of Syrian opposition, stressing that such move contradicted what have been agreed upon during the international meeting in Geneva.|
Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov criticized US, saying that Washington was betting on a military victory of the Syrian opposition.
“I was somewhat surprised to find out” that the US has recognized the so-called National Coalition of Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces, Lavrov was quoted by Russian news agencies as saying.
US President Barack Obama said on Tuesday, “At this point we have a well-organized-enough coalition – opposition coalition that is representative – that we can recognize them as the legitimate representative of Syrian people.”
The Russian FM said that the United States had “decided to place all its bets on an armed victory of the National Coalition.”
Lavrov also stated that the US announcement contradicts an agreement made in Geneva on June 30 that called for a resolution to the unrest in Syria “on the basis of mutual consent” among all sides in the country.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, Arab League Secretary-General Nabil al-Arabi, the secretary of state of the United States as well as the foreign ministers of Russia, China, Britain, France, Turkey, Qatar, Kuwait, and Iraq attended the Geneva meeting.
The UK, France, Turkey, and the Gulf Cooperation Council have recognized militants fighting the Syrian government.
- Sudan President First Arab Leader to Visit Damascus Since 2011
- Terrorists Thank UN Benefactors by Bombing Aleppo, Hama
- Jaafari to UN: Syria Will Foil Schemes of Assassins of International Law
- SAA Foils Terrorists Infiltrations and Attacks in Northern Hama Province
- Syria Resumes its Great River Project in Hama
- Syrian Red Crescent Distributes 8800 Food Baskets in Tafas City
- 6000 Terrorists in US-Controlled al-Tanf
- US FAA Extends Embargo on Damascus International Airport (DAM)
- Obama-Cum-Trump Regime ‘Coalition’ Bombs Hajin, Again
- Syria News: Let There Be Light & Reopening of Factories
- That's the problem of Syria -Arabism ??? For what benefit??? It should be syrianism above all-the glorius past of Syria…
- […] The visit of the Sudanese president is no surprise, though he’s the first Arab head of state to officially…
- […] where upwards of 130 civilians — mostly women and their kids — were slaughtered on 15 April 2017, after being…