Lavrov: Moscow, Washington and Brahimi Agree on Adopting Geneva Statement as Basis for Any Move towards Crisis in Syria
Dec 07, 2012
MOSOCW, (SANA) – Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that Russia, the United States and the UN envoy to Syria Lakhdar Brahimi agreed on that Geneva statement should be the basis for any move towards the crisis in Syria.
“We agreed on adopting Geneva statement as the basis for any joint action and we had consensus with the Americans and Brahimi in this regard,” Lavrov told a news conference after his return from Dublin.
He added that the talks dealt with the current situation in Syria and emphasis was laid on that the participants in Geneva meeting and the work group are able to implement what has been agreed upon on June 30th.
Lavrov said that Russia and the US realize their responsibilities towards the international stability, adding that Brahimi stressed the ability of Moscow and Washington to propose an initiative on practical means to implement what has been agreed on in Geneva, taking into account that Brahimi depends on the fact that Russia and the US can support him in looking for what can contribute to implementing Geneva statement during his talks with the Syrian government and opposition.
The Russian Foreign Minister indicated that the Russian and the U.S. sides agreed on a meeting between their experts and Brahimi in the next few days to hold intensive deliberations based on Geneva statement and the real situation in Syria to exchange opinions on reaching a settlement.
He said that no decisions were made and that talks were an attempt to find ways to implement what has been agreed on in Geneva.
Later on, Russia’s Foreign Ministry said that the tripartite meeting between the Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, the US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton and the UN envoy to Syria discussed the situation in Syria.
In a statement issued on Friday, the Ministry presented the outcome of Lavrov, Clinton and Brahimi meeting held on the sidelines of the meeting of Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) in Dublin on Thursday.
The statement said that the meeting agreed on a joint viewpoint of the necessity of halting the escalating violence in Syria and reaching a political solution based on Geneva statement approved by the work group on June 30th.
The statement added that the participants in the meeting agreed on continuing communications between representatives from the Russian and American governments and Lakhdar Brahimi.
Lavrov, Clinton Discuss Syria, International Issues
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov discussed with the US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton the situation in Syria and a host of international issues during their meeting on Thursday in Ireland’s Capital city, Dublin.
A statement by the Russian Foreign Ministry said that the meeting, which was held on the sidelines of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe meeting, also dealt with bilateral issues without providing further details.
Brahimi: We will continue work with Russia and the US to find Solution to Crisis The UN Envoy to Syria Lakhdar Brahimi affirmed that Russia and the US will search for a constructive resolution to the crisis in Syria.
- SAA Foils Terrorists Infiltrations and Attacks in Northern Hama Province
- Syria Resumes its Great River Project in Hama
- Syrian Red Crescent Distributes 8800 Food Baskets in Tafas City
- 6000 Terrorists in US-Controlled al-Tanf
- US FAA Extends Embargo on Damascus International Airport (DAM)
- Obama-Cum-Trump Regime ‘Coalition’ Bombs Hajin, Again
- Syria News: Let There Be Light & Reopening of Factories
- The Poisonous Chemical Projectiles Fired on Aleppo were Produced and Modified by French Experts
- SAA Eliminates a Terrorist Group in Hama’s Northern Countryside
- Turkey Ships More Drones to Idlib; Why Not Ship the UN There, Too?
- […] SAA units retaliated to an attack by the… Continue reading: https://www.syrianews.cc/saa-foils-terrorists-attacks-hama/ […]
- […] Hama Second Water project will provide 4 times the current levels of fresh drinking water and will supply the…
- […] ’37 trucks loaded with 8800 food baskets were delivered by the SARC teams in the city of Tafas and…